This easy Whole30 Chinese orange chicken
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, cut into 2–3 inch cubes
- 1 cup cassava flour (or coconut, tapioca or almond flour)
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons creamy almond butter
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese 5 Spice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Optional: 2 teaspoons arrowroot flour to thicken the sauce
- Mix flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon garlic powder together in a large bowl. Add chicken cubes. Toss with your hands until equally coated.
- Heat avocado oil and ghee in a large skillet until melted and hot.
- Add some of the chicken cubes (do not overcrowd the pan) using tongs, and cook until browned, about 2 minutes per side. Remove and set on a plate. Repeat process with remaining chicken until all are cooked. Note: you may have to add additional ghee and oil to the pan if doing more than 2 batches.