A healthy, vegetarian, gluten free dinner the whole family will love! You won't miss the meat in this easy to make, One Pot Cheesy Mexican Lentils, Black Beans and Rice!
- 1/2 of a yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, grated or minced
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked French green lentils, rinsed (red or brown lentils may also be used)
- 2-3 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle powder (optional)
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 15 ounces black beans (canned), rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 4 ounces diced green chiles (canned)
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese, I used sharp cheddar and part skim mozzarella
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Heat a large pot or saucepan over medium high heat.
- When the pot is heated spray with cooking oil and add in the onion and garlic.
- Sauté for a couple minutes then add in the brown rice and lentils.