Better than a Boyfriend Brownies
Better than a Boyfriend Brownies is where all good inspiration comes from – breakups. I even have a ridiculous memory. This is often a very good thing and a very bad thing, simultaneously. This is where custom memory isn't so great.
For some stupid reason (because teens generally don't always make the most reasonable judgments), my friends and I thought it might be funny to clean the bathroom at my first little boyfriend's house.
Since we couldn't drive, we convinced my mother to drive us to this unsuspecting boy's house. We soon realized that the page was huge and we needed help. So we ran to the car and grabbed the main toilet paper – my mom. We somehow convinced him that toilet paper at fifty was completely normal.
All went well and we were quite impressed with our TP's ability…until we saw the headlights of the car go out. There was nowhere to run, so we screamed like little girls and ran into the bushes. Unfortunately for us, our hurdling skills weren't the simplest and our disguises were blown up….by his parents!
They got out of the car, walked into the bushes and we slowly raised our heads in shame and embarrassment. important consolation came after they found out that my mother was hiding WITH us!
I don't think they were impressed. That tiny boyfriend – my first kisser literally broke my heart to pieces when he broke up with me. Note to self: not your boyfriend's house toilet paper. they usually need to clean it and won't like it.
I went home and did what a normal teenager would do… put on some really sad music, made brownies, ate everything and took my sadness away. Hence the name – Better than a Boyfriend Brownies.
If only I could apply my good memory to tables in Chemistry.
5 Ways To Make Brownies Not Broken:
- Don't overbake. These sacred cows are often very large. Ask my kids how crazy I was once I saw the cooking times listed on the ready made or ready box and goodbye that you'll find yourself with a hockey puck! No wonder people think they're bad cooks when in fact we're just pointing them in a bad direction. Can we do that? Yes we can. Whenever you bake cookies, cakes or brownies….look at those precious gems like an eagle. You want to focus the light because a few minutes can often make all the difference.
- Beat butter + sugar for at least 3 minutes to make sure you don't find any grainy brownies. Cream works great in foods because it helps dissolve sugar crystals and creates fewer air pockets. Butter wraps around the sugar as it coats it and helps say goodbye to grainy textures.
- Don't overmix your flour. You know how kneading bread makes it better.... well that's different with food. If you knead the dough too much, it creates more gluten which can cause the brownies to become tougher. we want the young! Stir until smooth or maybe close your mixer and add your flour.
- Use high quality cocoa. It is a key ingredient and an integral part of brownie success in general. I bought Callebaut chocolate in bulk at Winco and while it is a high quality item, it is actually cheaper than buying one of the popular opposite brands in-store. It makes a huge difference in the depth of flavour.
- Add chocolate chunks. Because if you want to eat chocolate, you want to actually eat chocolate. Adding bittersweet chocolate adds another richness and depth to the flavour. Guittard and Ghiradelli are some of my favorite chocolate brands. Trader Joe's makes killer chocolate candies and melts beautifully. If you're really crazy, add chocolate just to really mix it up (think Paradise Bakery chipper black + white).
Better than a Boyfriend Brownies
BEST BROWNIES EVER. The Best Homemade Chocolate Brownies Recipe. 5-Star Rated Brownie Recipe. Most Popular Brownies! #brownies #chocolate #brownierecipe #bestbrownies #chocolatelover #chocoholic #chocolatedessert #dessert #dessertbars
Servings: 20 Servings
- 1 cup Butter softened
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
- 1 cup Flour
- 1/2 cup Cake Flour
- 1 cup Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chunks or Chips
- *Optional: add 8-ounce jar Dulce de Leche. Carefully heat in the microwave. Swirl in 4 ounces into the batter. Bake. Top brownies with remaining Dulce de Leche.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugar, and brown sugar for 3-4 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Stir in flour, cake flour, cocoa, and salt until mixed together.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour into 9 x 13 pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 28-36 minutes.
- *Adapted from I am Baker's decadent brownies
Label: best brownie recipe